The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. About 100 Rhodes Scholarships are available per year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford.
The Scholarship is not just a financial bursary, it is a life-changing opportunity for exceptional young people with the potential to make a difference for good in the world. Rhodes Scholars are people who have a vision of how the world could be better and the energy to make a difference – whatever their sphere of interest.
Established through the Will of Cecil John Rhodes in 1902, the Rhodes Scholarship was a truly visionary project for its time. Over a hundred years later, the Rhodes Scholarships are the oldest and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme in the world, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to undertake full-time postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, (ranked first internationally in the Times Higher Education rankings for 2017 and 2018).
One of the founding aims of the Scholarship was to identify young leaders from around the world who, through the pursuit of education together at Oxford, would forge bonds of mutual understanding and fellowship for the betterment of mankind. Although the language is old-fashioned, this remains one of the founding aims of the Scholarship: to select outstanding young people, with the potential to lead, who will make an impact for good in the world in later life.
- United Kingdom
- The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as providing an annual stipend. For the 2019/20 academic year, the stipend will be £15,900 per annum (£1,325 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation. Please note – this is not sufficient to cover partners or dependants.
- Following selection for the Scholarship, the Rhodes Trust will cover the fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford. The Trust will cover the fee for a Tier 4 study visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service.
- The Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling-in allowance (£225 in 2019-20). For those Scholars who transition to the second course of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS.
- A number of research grants are also available to Rhodes Scholars, on the application, which enables Scholars to, for example, attend international conferences or conduct additional fieldwork.
Posting 10+ Educational Opportunities daily:
• Telegram: https://t.me/opportunitycellofficial
• Facebook: https://bit.ly/oc_facebook
- The eligibility criteria for each constituency Scholarship is held in the Information for Candidates document, which can be found through the Apply Now link.
- Eligible Regions: Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, East Africa, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and eSwatini), Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Palestine (SJLP), United Arab Emirates, United States, West Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How to Apply
- Read the application process carefully by visiting the official website.
- Note: Application deadline varies country to country!