Development Alternatives Group is looking for Green Building Materials experts to join our team who can strategically support/anchor and develop the organisation’s work on Green Building Materials & Technologies towards mainstreaming resource efficiency and circular economy principles in policy as well as praxis, with the broad objective of generating responses towards building ecological resilience and improving the living conditions of local communities.
- Role: Deputy Manager/ Manager: Green Building Specialist (Sustainable Habitat)
- Employment type: Regular position with DA after six months’ probation or Company Contract for one year
- Required Qualifications: Bachelors’ or Masters in Building Sciences/ Design and Construction Technology/ Architecture/ Urban or Regional Planning/ Civil Engineering/ Sustainability Studies/ Environmental Management
- Experience: At least 2-4 years’ experience relevant to sustainable buildings and construction sector
- Vertical: Policy and Planning
- Work Location: Development Alternatives HQ, South Delhi
- Reporting to: Senior Manager
- Remuneration: As per organization’s salary disbursement structure and commensurate with qualifications and experience of the candidate.
About the Vertical:
Based in New Delhi, India, Planning and Policy Domain (PPD) of DA Group has a mandate to influence and support public policy in the transition towards sustainable development by connecting practice with policy. It develops innovative policy and practice oriented research to guide policymakers and domestic/international leaders, who develop high-impact policies that will address our national/worldwide most pressing Natural Resource Management/ Climate change related challenges.
Our focus area are Sustainable Consumption & Production (water, green building materials and waste management); Climate Change Resilience (Climate Change Adaptation: water/Agriculture, Climate Finance & SDG-CC Inter Linkages); and Inclusive Development (Agriculture and FPOs, Access to Housing, Eco-Tourism, Green MSMEs and Jobs, Equity and Resource Efficiency).
About the Role:
We are looking for a green buildings specialist join our team. This position will work directly with the Senior Manager at Development Alternatives to contribute to the organisation’s work on Green Building Materials & Technologies towards mainstreaming resource efficiency and circular economy principles in policy as well as praxis, with the broad objective of generating responses towards building ecological resilience and improving the living conditions of local communities.
Your primary responsibility would be to support the Planning and Policy Domain in conducting technical research on green building materials, capacity development work related to sustainable buildings, starting from design and strategy for project planning up to project completion. You would work in a highly inter-disciplinary team in a very dynamic environment and would be encouraged to look at possible synergies across systems, sectors and scales to design and implement cross-cutting projects. You would be expected to further our ambitious efforts to advance the organization’s agenda by disseminating our work and message to a wide variety of stakeholders nationwide, including researchers, policymakers, practitioners, institutions of higher education.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research on appropriate, locally sourced materials for green building construction, setting up green building design criteria and provide green design analysis appropriate for DA’s context.
- Articulate green building and material science principles, best practices on sustainability and green building program requirements to participants.
- Conduct research on existing policy on green buildings, identify policy gaps, and make recommendations to establish clear policies and strategies for green buildings, looking at alignments with policy frameworks at global, national and sub-national levels.
- Prepare training materials on the green building and to the selected prototype designers, implementers, and occupants to meet the requirements of the green building standard.
- Conduct research for ongoing projects including field data collection, conducting interviews and surveys, data compilation and analysis.
- Support team in compiling technical reports and knowledge products, preparing presentations, project management, and implementing field work under supervision of senior manager.
- Experience of working in climate resilient construction/building
- In-depth understanding of low carbon impact green building design principles, energy efficient building policies, Green Building Certification systems and state of the art knowledge of upcoming material technologies and innovations
- Experience in working with various stakeholders including state departments, ministries, multilateral organizations, CSOs would be preferable.
- Experience of initiatives along with implementation of projects on ground
- Willingness to travel for field work (travel may include smaller towns, villages and remote locations for community interactions).
Desired Technical Skills:
- Experienced in technical report writing and academic research, excellent editing & presentation skills
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and online tools for collaborative working
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, Google Sketchup, Adobe Suite would be an asset
- Knowledge of tools & methodologies for Material Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), Building Information Modelling (BIM), Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Environmental Impact Assessment would be considered a bonus.