About the Organisation
Jhatkaa.org is a non-profit campaigning start-up committed to building grassroots citizen power across India to help people take action collectively on issues that interest or affect them. We engage citizens to hold leaders accountable in real-time at crucial decision-making moments. We do this through various digital communication platforms to create change that would not be possible if one acted alone.
- Position: Campaigner, Gender & Sexuality
- Location: Anywhere in India (with high-speed internet); Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai preferred
- Apply by: Rolling, until filled
- Reports to: Campaigns Manager (Gender & Sexuality team)
- Remuneration: ₹40,000 to ₹50,000 per month based on relevant experience
- Note: Due to the high volume of applications, you will only hear back from us if you have moved to the next round.
About the Role
We’re looking for passionate and creative people with digital marketing skills to create positive social change. You’ll be responsible for running digital campaigns, end-to-end, in the area of Gender & Sexuality. As a campaigner, you’ll be expected to execute a range of activities including but not limited to:
- Staying on top of the news cycle, especially the Gender & Sexuality beat
- Quick research + ability to break down research for a campaign
- Creating campaign strategy and innovative tactics
- Produce (or coordinate the production of) creative content that can go viral, thus engaging a large number of Indians.
- Coordinating and overseeing content production with external vendors/freelancers
- Use digital tools to test and optimise content and make data-driven decisions based on analytics
- Engage with Indian citizens on different platforms
- Managing partnerships and media relations
- Researching, applying and innovating on social media tactics to increase reach and citizen engagement with gender and sexuality
- Research and identify the latest trends, memes, viral content
- Organising on-ground activities when necessary
Skills and attributes:
- A strong writer and communicator – primarily in English, other languages are a bonus. You need to be able to write compelling copy that will engage people and spur them to action.
- Content Production – you have created content (or managed the production of content) that engages large audiences.
- Digital Marketing – you understand how to effectively leverage social media and other digital technologies to reach and engage appropriate audiences.
- Data-driven – You should constantly be thinking about relevant data points, analysing what they mean, and how to better integrate them into your work. You’re comfortable with Google Analytics and/or other analytic tools.
- Tech enthusiast – Tech is a big part of everything we do. You must be tech-savvy and have a keen curiosity to learn new skills and tools that help drive digital campaigns forward.
- Self-starter – You’re motivated enough to not wait for others to get started on a campaign and won’t let anything get in the way of achieving individual and organisational objectives.
- Process-oriented – We’re a remote-friendly organisation and rely on a series of processes to make this an efficient system. You realise the importance of being organised and will value processes.
- Quick learner – You must be capable of synthesising news and information quickly and acting on it strategically. You will learn a lot of new tools on the job, and you need to be able to get up to speed quickly.
- You must have a solid grasp of the political, social, and cultural landscape, including feminist movements in India and intersectional politics.
The role of a Digital Campaigner is unique in India, and that’s why we do not expect you to come with all of the above skills and characteristics. But we expect passion, excitement and motivation about the work you’re doing and the willingness to learn many new things. We will also provide you with the necessary skills and training to succeed in this role.
Fluency in English and at least one other Indian language is needed. Fluency in other languages will be an advantage.