Connect Humanity is a fund advancing digital equity. We support, catalyze, and scale holistic solutions providing people with the internet access and means needed to participate fully in a digital society. Our work centers on the 3.6 billion people who are currently disconnected from the online world and equal opportunity to essentials like financial security, education, and healthcare. We advance our mission by making philanthropic grants, providing low interest loans, advocating for policy change, conducting research, and supporting a community of practice dedicated to connecting the unconnected backed by the capital to do so.
Connect Humanity was founded with the understanding that knowledge about how to achieve digital equity exists and is being applied by numerous nontraditional operators, civil society organizations, companies, and regulators around the world. Surfacing and mainstreaming existing knowledge; promoting the work of today’s digital equity leaders in an effort to inspire others; and engaging likely allies in creative, inclusive communications campaigns, is therefore central to our work.
The Communications Manager plays a key role in building and shepherding our community’s narrative and profile while contributing to our strategic thinking, organizational development, and collaborative team dynamics. Reporting to the Chief Strategy and Partnerships Officer, the Communications Director will work closely with both our team and global community to design and implement communications strategy and tactics – building and leading creative campaigns that increase understanding amongst our diverse stakeholders about digital equity, why it is critical, and how our community and approach are achieving it.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the establishment of a communications and content strategy for our rapidly growing organization; help develop and steward overarching narrative.
- Drive content creation, lead the production of key content, derivative content, and campaigns.
- Establish and manage a cadence for regular communications across multiple channels.
- Lead the development and execution of go to market strategies for new programs and services.
- Build and manage trusted relationships with relevant reporters and media outlets.
- Work with organizational leadership on internal communications.
- Support donor and partner focused communications.
- Define and manage a budget and, over time, staff.
- Develop communications KPIs, monitoring, and reporting methodologies and infrastructure.
- Work with the team, community, contractors, and occasional interns to source, develop, and promote stories, case studies, and reports.
- Participate in overall strategy and development of plans, programs, and procedures.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage interns, consultants, and vendors on projects furthering organizational goals overseen by the office of the CSPO.
- Represent the organization in certain national and international forums.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field required, masters degree preferred
- At least 5 years progressive experience in communications and marketing
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
We’re open to a number of different backgrounds for this role, and would strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. We care more about your ability to deliver on these responsibilities and your passion for this work than the letters after your name or where you went to school. In turn, we’re committed to ensuring that you have the support necessary to succeed. That said, we think the right candidate will probably have several of these qualifications:
- Excellent English-language writing skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills that can translate across sectors, industries, and cultures.
- Fluency in digital marketing and analytic tools, basic graphic design, and digital events management.
- Understanding of, or willingness to learn, wide range of digital policy arguments.
- Adept with standard productivity tools.
- Proven ability to develop creative, omni-channel communications programs.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in developing and managing relationships across a broad range of sectors, industries, and cultures, including cultural sensitivity and experience of collaborating with partners and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and geographies.
- Experience and comfort coordinating internationally distributed remote teams. Our team is currently spread across 8 cities and 4 timezones, but we expect that to grow soon.
- Pragmatic problem solver who brings a “low ego” approach to all relationships and excitement to “roll up the sleeves” and get creative in order to find financing approaches that will work for the communities that we seek to serve.
- Comfort with ambiguity and managing shifting and/or competing priorities.
- Collaborative approach to creating processes and standards that support Connect Humanity’s mission and programs.
- Connects with the urgency and importance of the work, while modelling compassion, humility, and conviction in the workplace.
- This position will report to the Chief Partnership & Strategy Officer.
- The position will be in daily contact with the senior leadership team and direct reports through the planning and execution of duties.
- The position will communicate and engage with the Advisory Council as key partners in refining the organization’s strategy.
- Must be able to manage international travel
- When not representing the organization at events, this position will work from home. Heavy computer usage and frequent video conferencing is expected.
About benefits, salary, and location:
- Initially, the institutional home of Connect Humanity will be with our fiscal sponsor, Tides Center, which offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and retirement savings plan. We expect to offer a similar benefits package when we transition to our own legal infrastructure.
- The expected salary range for this role is $100,000-125,000 plus bonus.
- We’re currently an all-remote team and open to applicants from around the world.