UNFCCC or The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is inviting applications for its remote internship opportunity with its Communications & Engagement (C&E) Division.
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the focus of the political process to address climate change. The secretariat supports the Convention, its Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement by a range of activities, including substantive and organizational support to meetings of the Parties.
About the Division
Communications and Engagement Division is responsible for UNFCCC public communications, and for catalyzing climate action among climate actors in governments, civil society and subnational organizations, through outreach, engagement and tracking of climate action.
About the Internship
Under the supervision of the Manager for the Communications & Engagement sub-division, and in close collaboration with a staff member of the respective sub-division, the intern will assist the C&E division in ensuring the timeliness and quality of the secretariat’s digital content and supporting activities in English, both for the secretariat’s Newsroom and for social media.
Responsibilities of the Intern
The specific functions are:
- Assist in the preparation of various multimedia products for UN Climate Change’s social media and website
- Assist in the research, preparation of written content for the Newsroom of UN Climate Change (https://unfccc.int).
- Assist in the conceptualization and production of new and innovative content for UN Climate Change’s digital channels, particularly Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and TikTok.
- Assist with targeted social media campaigns and prepare social media kits, including web cards and draft messages, for sharing within the wider UN system and relevant NGOs and agencies.
- Edit videos using basic editing tools and help create social videos, add subtitles to videos.
- Monitor and analyze statistics related to social media content.
- Assist in planning and organizing other communication activities as required.
Duration of the Internship
- The remote internship is for a period of a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 6 months, starting in October 2021.
- The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the subdivisions.
- The selected intern will work remotely on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
- Educational background: Candidates must be enrolled in the last year of an undergraduate degree or in graduate studies at a recognized university at the time of application and for the duration of the internship.
- Studies in the field of law, environmental management, business management, public policy, international relations, or related fields are preferred.
- Experience: Prior exposure to another UN organization, Inter-governmental Organization and/or climate change fields is an asset.
- Language skills: Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and have strong analytical and research skills.
- Editing skills: Basic proficiency of Adobe Cloud editing tools are required.
- General requirements: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); experience in reading technical documentation; attention to detail.
- For a remote internship, candidates will require a laptop or desktop PC (with Windows 10 or newer) or Mac (with the latest MacOS update), as well as a reliable, high-speed internet connection.
- An Office 365 license will be provided by the UNFCCC to enable the candidate to access official emails, SharePoint, OneDrive and other office applications, such as Word and Excel.
Further computer requirements:
- An antivirus application which receives regular updates;
- Browsers must be a newer version with regular updates enabled;
- Regular Windows 10 updates should be enabled with Windows laptop or PC.
- In addition, a mobile phone will be required to enable Multifactor Authentication (MFA) through SMS or the Authenticator App
Whether the UNFCCC Internship is Paid
- UNFCCC secretariat internships are not remunerated, and the selected intern will be responsible for all costs before, during and after the internship assignment.
How to Apply?
- Click here to apply online for the UNFCCC Internship.
- Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must use the on-line application system and include a cover letter.
- Due to the high number of applications, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for a telephone interview.
- Click here for the official information.