Applications are invited for Consumers India Research Internship Programme Winter batch for the year 2023. The last date of application is January 6.
About Consumers India
Consumers India is an intellectually strong organization comprising senior officers of Government of India (generally retired), doctors, engineers, academics and others, who have joined hands to use their knowledge and experience for the well-being of consumers.
The Society for Upliftment of Masses (SUM), An NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations, has an active interface with United Nations. The statements submitted by the Society for ECOSOC High Level Segments during the years 2013, 2014, 2015, 2021, 2022 and 2023 were accepted by the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
They were circulated amongst all member States after being translated in all the UN languages. Several strategies have been suggested in these Statements for sustaining gains relating to ‘Health’ and ‘Nutrition’etc in Post-MDG era.
About the Internship
‘Internship’ programme was launched by Consumers India for students pursuing higher education on 15th September, 2012 and 41 batches have since been held successfully. They have studied important consumer issues under the able guidance of experienced mentors. Several issues, highlighted by interns in their studies, have been taken up with the concerned authorities at the highest level.
The programme will familiarise participants with burning consumer concerns like consumer justice, misleading advertisements, junk food, unethical medical practices, Right to Information etc and help them make well-informed decisions by being aware consumers.
Participants will also gain practical knowledge and experience of conducting research and survey on a consumer issue and analysing that data in a presentable format under guidance of mentors.
This is the twelfth batch of ‘Online Internship’. Online Internship was introduced in April, 2020, due to Covid-19 induced lock down.
- This internship is open to students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, Ph D or any other higher education programme in any discipline from recognised institutions in India, having interest in consumer issues and having sufficient capabilities for online format of internship.
Interns would be expected to choose one of the following subjects for specific study. Link to the write ups on our Blog relating to each of the broad themes has also been provided.
- Specific Study: Deep Fakes and Consumers
- Broad Theme: Beware of Fake, Spurious and Counterfeit
- Specific Study: Fake Doctors playing with lives of patients
- Broad Theme: Tryst with Health
- Study: Unclaimed Money with Banks, Mutual Funds etc
- Broad Theme: Consumer Justice
- Specific Study: Are we being duped in the name of Organic Food?
- Broad Theme: Junk the Junk Food & Misleading Ads
- Study: Food Labelling and Consumer Health
- Broad Theme: Junk the Junk Food
At the end of the Internship, you will
- Become an enlightened consumer, familiar with your rights and responsibilities as a consumer
- Make well informed decisions in your day-today life
- Be able to avoid the trap of misleading advertisements
- Be able to report misleading ads to Advertising Standards Authority of India (ASCI) and GAMA and also help others do it
- Familiar with the power of RTI Act
- Be able to file RTI applications for seeking information from Public Authorities and also help others do it
- Gain practical knowledge and experience of conducting research and survey on a consumer issue and analysing that data in a presentable format under guidance of mentors.
- Gain practical knowledge and experience of presenting your research and survey findings through PPT and video for disseminating your findings through social media.
|Last date for receipt of complete
application in prescribed format
|January 6, 2024
|Finalisation of selection process and
communication to applicants
|January 8-12, 2024
|Date of online Induction
|January 13, 2024
|Period of Internship
|6 weeks from January 13, 2024 to
February 25, 2024
|Date of final submission of research
study and other assignments, duly
approved by Mentors
|February 14, 2024
|Discussion on Infographics and individual activities; final submission of Completion & Evaluation Report and residual
|February 15-19, 2024
|Discussion on PPTs, videos and Debriefing workshop (Interns will present their
studies through PPTs)
|February 20-25, 2024
- No stipend is paid to interns by Consumers India. Similarly, no reimbursement of expenditure incurred on travel etc is made by Consumers India.
How to Apply?
- Interested candidates are required to fill up prescribed form with complete and correct details. They are also required to give at least one reference with complete details in their application.
- Those interested in joining this programme may note the above schedule and email their application and photograph in prescribed format, which is given below at the earliest, well within the prescribed deadline, to [email protected]
- FOR COMPLETE DETAILED NOTIFICATION, CLICK HERE