About the Organization:
The Department of Science & Technology plays a pivotal role in promotion of science & technology in the country. The department has wide ranging activities ranging from promoting high end basic research and development of cutting edge technologies on one hand to service the technological requirements of the common man through development of appropriate skills and technologies on the other.
Asean-India Research Training Fellowship (AI-RTF)
India has been the dialogue partner for ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) since 1992. In 2012, on the occasion of 20th anniversary as dialogue partner, India-ASEAN celebrated commemorative Summit and declared enhancement of its relations to strategic level.
The main objectives of ASEAN-India Science, Technology and Innovation cooperation are based on following principles –
- Encourage and promote cooperation in science, technology and innovation, including through joint research activity, and development on cross-sectoral areas such as health, communicable and emerging infectious diseases, environmental management,
- Encourage and promote cooperation in biotechnology including through capacity building and joint research and development for mutual benefit;
- Undertake activities and develop program / projects under the ASEAN-India Science and Technology Development Fund;
- In order to support and facilitate mobility among young talented researchers of ASEAN Member States India and ASEAN instituted the scheme ASEAN-India Research Training Fellowship (AIRTF) Scheme for ASEAN young researchers to work at any of the Indian research/ academic Institution
The AIRTF scheme is a fellowship scheme with the following objectives:
- To promote mobility of scientists and researchers from the ASEAN-Member Countries to India and provide them opportunity to work at Indian R&D/ academic institutions to upgrade their research skills and expertise.
- To facilitate exchange of information and contacts between the scientists and researchers of India and ASEAN Countries and create a network for building research collaborations.
Areas in which fellowships are available:
The area/ topic of research for availing AIRTF must be ASEAN centric and must be aligned with the ASEAN Plan of Action on Science, Technology and Innovation (APASTI)-2016-2025. Fellowship will be offered for working in research topics under any of the following broad disciplines:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Biological and Medical Sciences
- Chemical Sciences & Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Physical Sciences and Mathematics
- Ocean, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Materials, Minerals and Metallurgy
- Science Policy / IPR Management / Technology Transfer & Commercialisation
- Other multi-disciplinary areas of Science, Technology and Innovation in alignment with APASTI.
Eligibility and requirements:
- Applicant must be holding nationality of any of the ASEAN Member State.
- Possess at-least a Masters Degree in any Natural Sciences or an equivalent degree in Technology / Engineering / Medicine / allied disciplines.
- Applicant should be working / studying and / or affiliated to any national R&D or academic institution in his/ her home ASEAN Member State. The application should be endorsed by the Head of his/ her institution confirming that if selected, he/ she will be sanctioned leave for the Fellowship period and will join his/ her duties back in the institution on completion of the Fellowship in India.
- The upper age limit for the applicant is 45 years as on date of submission of application.
- Fluency in English language
- Indian nationals are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Applicants who have availed any fellowship scheme of Govt of India during last 5 years are not ELIGIBLE to apply.
- The proposed research work in India must be linked/connected and add value to any of the on-going research project/scheme of the Indian host Institute.