About the Organiser
The Internet Freedom Foundation, through a grant from the Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiative, has established the Freedom Innovation Fellowship. The aim of this fellowship is for it to be a 15-month fellowship for young lawyers wishing to bring about change not only through the courts but also through a wide variety of social change tools.
About the Opportunity
The Freedom Innovation Fellowship seeks to train a cohort of five young lawyers for 15 months in strategic litigation and policy engagement. The fellows will be given a comprehensive mix of education, instruction, application and ownership to help them develop their skills and continue rights-based work related to technology after the fellowship period.
Roles & Responsibilities
The fellows under The Freedom Innovation Fellowship will undertake a variety of roles, such as drafting and reviewing pleadings, coordinating with clients, identifying opportunities for court-centered advocacy, drafting RTI applications, identifying policy issues impacting the public interest, assisting IFFs policy team, providing regular updates about IFFs work to the public and participating in talks, panel discussions and conferences on IFF’s behalf.
- The applicant must have a 5-year or 3-year degree in law.
- The applicant must have 0-5 years of work experience.
- The applicant must be enrolled with the Bar Council and authorised to appear in court on behalf of clients. Fresh graduates must enrol with the Bar Council at the first opportunity.
- Candidates with a bilingual proficiency in English and any other Indian language will be preferred.
- A core objective of the Freedom Innovation Fellowship is to reverse the metropolitan bias present in India’s digital rights space. Strong preference will be given to candidates from marginalised socio-economic backgrounds.
- This is a full-time, in-person fellowship at IFF’s office in New Delhi.
- A stipend of Rs. 50,000 per month will be provided.
- Things to Know: IFF welcomes all applications that promote diversity in the workplace, with a flexible and accommodating leave policy in place. It expects all its staff to promote a constructive and sensitive approach towards others from diverse backgrounds.
- The Application Deadline is January 30, 2024.
- The Interview Process commences on February 1, 2024.
- The Fellowship Start Date is March 15, 2024.
- For queries, please email us at [email protected]