The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is looking to hire a consultant to assist with data collection in an ongoing impact evaluation of an ICT-based agricultural risk management concept for smallholder farmers in India.
About the Project
IFPRI together with local implementation partners have been testing the feasibility and effectiveness of a personalized crop insurance and advisory service through a five-year cluster randomized trial in Haryana, India.
In this intervention, farmers send routine images of their field and accompanying data through a specialized smartphone application, which are then used by agronomic experts and in crop models to evaluate crop damage and losses at the field level. The impact evaluation measures changes in the uptake of the intervention, agricultural practices and farmer welfare.
Between September and November 2022, qualitative and quantitative end-line surveys for the impact evaluation will be conducted by IFPRI together with local partners in 150 study villages across four districts in Haryana.
- The work can be performed remotely but will include travel to field sites in Haryana and in-person meetings in New Delhi as needed in the three-month period.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences or a related field
- Proficiency in Hindi
- Willingness and ability to travel to field sites in Haryana for enumerator trainings and qualitative data collection.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and good problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work with researchers across time zones in Eastern Standard Time and Indian Standard Time.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The consultant will work with local and international IFPRI researchers to implement and manage quantitative and qualitative field surveys in the months September to November 2022.
- For the quantitative survey, the consultant will train and manage a field team of enumerators conducting household surveys using CAPI-software with 3000 farmers and spouses in 150 study villages in Haryana.
- Specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- CAPI questionnaire piloting and revision
- Enumerator training
- Survey monitoring and quality checking
- Dynamic data cleaning and reporting throughout the duration of the survey.
- Data cleaning, compilation and documentation of final data
- Reports on key findings as needed
- For the qualitative survey, the consultant will lead support staff and participate in conducting personal interviews with farmers and spouses in selected villages in Haryana.
- Ahead of the survey, the consultant will work with IFPRI researchers to develop the interview guides, sampling strategy and analysis plan.
- The consultant will also analyze the survey responses and present qualitative findings in the form of a project report.
- Competitive remuneration will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and will be delivered in tranches upon completion of deliverables.
- The consultant will be expected to be available to work full-time in the window September 1st 2022 – 30th November 2022.
How to Apply
- Please submit an updated CV and a cover letter to [email protected] by 21st August 2022 11:59 pm IST.
- Kindly indicate “Application for Field Consultant” as the email subject.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual interview.
- CLICK HERE, for Official Notification
Join our WhatsApp and Telegram groups to stay updated with all opportunities!