About Foundation for Advancing Science and Technology (FAST India)
FAST India aims to transform the landscape of science and technology (S&T) research in India in order to spur economic and social development.
The world is increasingly moving towards an innovation economy, driven by exponential progress in S&T and the growth of vibrant ecosystems to commercialize research. To be a global leader in S&T, India needs to be at the forefront of research by way of the creation of new S&T knowledge (research) and its translation to economic and social goods. Recently, the Government of India has placed great importance on S&T nationally; major strategic projects are underway and significant funding has been unlocked to strengthen the S&T ecosystem in the country.
FAST India is one of the few foundations working on S&T in a strategic and dedicated manner in the country and aims for India to become a global leader in the space.
FAST India is backed by The Convergence Foundation, an organisation run by Ashish Dhawan, a private equity investor turned philanthropist, and Varun Aggarwal, who is a successful tech entrepreneur and researcher and is passionate about AI and the potential for sustainable social and economic progress through science.
It receives guidance from its panel of advisors that comprises Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Thomas Barlow, Dr. Swaminathan Sivaram, Samir K. Brahmachari, Sanjay Sarma, Luis Miranda, Venkatesh Narayanamurti, Vijay Chandru and Gagandeep Kang.
FAST India has a partnership with the Banaras Hindu University for the establishment of a Program Management Unit at BHU to support reforms primarily in the research ecosystem of the University.
We are looking to hire an exceptional Program Associate (PA) for the Project Management Unit to assist the team in an exciting time of organisational growth and development. As PA, PMU, you will be working closely with our partner Banaras Hindu University (BHU) for providing intellectual and execution assistance at BHU, aligned with FAST India’s missions, goals and targets.
This is a high-energy, entrepreneurial role and a great opportunity for those who enjoy working in a start-up environment and care deeply about impact.
- Position: Program Associate, Project Management Unit Office at Banaras Hindu University
- Location: Banaras, Uttar Pradesh
Roles and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the PA: PMU Office include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with Vice Chancellor’s office at BHU to aid and support the implementation of reform interventions in the University’s research ecosystem.
- Assist with the framing of reforms, structures, and processes that help bring efficiency in scientific R&D financing and dismantling regulatory barriers to innovation and science entrepreneurship in India
- Support the leadership team with research based on primary and secondary research and insights, recommending an appropriate approach for reforms.
- Take on diverse operational tasks to ensure organizational success
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Postgraduate or undergraduate degree in a relevant subject from a top tier institution. While there is no preference for a particular major, we expect to see high degree of intellectual curiosity, sophistication, and analytical skills
- 6 months to 2 years of work experience in a challenging/high growth environment
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, passion for science and technology (S&T), and desire to develop and strengthen the institutional science ecosystem in India
- High intellectual vitality, the desire to continuously learn, read, and engage on a variety of topics. While the person may only have a basic understanding of science and technology, we highly value the willingness to learn and motivation.
Personal characteristics and desired qualities
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with an aptitude for research to formulate solutions
- Excellent writing and communication skills (ability to communicate complex ideas in a meaningful way and across different audiences)
- Ability to be able to set priorities, plan timelines, and meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively, and ability to turn ideas into action
- Operating style suited to working independently and in a small-organisation setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Ability to collaborate, actively listen to others, exhibit diplomatic skills, and value others’ views in a diverse setting.
- The role will be based in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, UP.
- Local or willing to relocate to the location is required.
- Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and with organizations working with a similar mandate.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates should fill out the application form
- In case of any queries, please contact [email protected]