About the World Bank Group
The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189-member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
About the External and Corporate Relations (ECR) Team
The mission of External and Corporate Relations (ECR) is to help deliver financial and political support for the World Bank Group, strengthen the Bank Group’s role as a global thought leader in development by enhancing and safeguarding its reputation, and supporting operational teams to achieve country outcomes.
ECR manages corporate communications and global engagement with key stakeholders, including media, civil society, foundations, private sector, donor countries, and international organizations, as well as employee engagement. External and Corporate Relations (ECR) also manages strategic communications for the World Bank’s Regions and Global Practices and leads the management of reputation risk.
About the Opportunity
- ECRSA is offering a 4-year term full-time staff position of an External Affairs Officer in New Delhi, India.
- The External Affairs Officer plays an important role in planning and implementing communications strategies in support of the country program in India, identifying and exploiting communication opportunities and risks, developing communications products to a high standard, proactively managing relations with internal and external clients, and developing and tailoring communications strategies to support multiple Bank projects and further the overall mission.
- The External Affairs Officer will report to the Lead External Affairs Officer (LEAO), India, External and Corporate Relations, South Asia Region (ECRSA).
External Affairs Officer – Roles and Responsibilities
- Under guidance from LEAO, plans, designs, executes, monitors and evaluates the impact of communications strategies, activities, and campaigns about the Bank’s work. Also contributes ideas with regards to the World Bank overall country strategy for India.
- Identifies and suggests the types of information and communications activities that are best suited to addressing issues or needs. Accordingly, produces both routine and complex outreach products (e.g., backgrounders, media packets, news releases, op-eds, radio/TV broadcasts, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, Q&As, websites, social media, speeches, briefing notes, etc.) that promote the strategic and timely flow of information on major issues about the Bank, its policies, projects, and reports to key audiences in India.
- Develops and sustains effective professional relationships with key internal and external constituencies including the development partners, media, private sector, academia and NGOs.
- Identifies opportunities for and forges strategic partnerships both inside and outside the Bank to improve dialogue and outreach about the Bank and to strengthen the Bank’s overall effectiveness.
- Working with the External Affairs Associate, manages the India website, social media and other online communications platforms and outreach channels.
- Monitors and analyzes current events, including media monitoring. Keeps the ECR team and the country management informed on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact the Bank and its work and helps to determine appropriate strategic responses to address them.
- Organizes press briefings, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities, and supports the organization/preparation of conferences and seminars, sponsored by the Bank. Works and provides guidance to others developing various communications products for specific campaigns.
- Identifies risks (reputational or otherwise) to the World Bank program and alerts the LEAO and relevant staff in a timely manner, proposing ways to mitigate them.
- Provides communication support to World Bank operational teams and government implementing agencies. This includes review and comment on key documents, capacity building to undertake communication interventions, consultations, and stakeholder engagement activities through lending and non-lending activities (i.e., projects, programs, analytical work, etc.).
- Provides cross support to SAR External Affairs team members in the region and HQ, as required.
- Carries out any other communications related work as needed.
- Master’s degree and at least five years of professional experience, in a relevant discipline (communication, journalism, economics, development studies, or international relations).
- Solid experience in communicating complex technical concepts in a clear, compelling and concise manner and constructing messages that are accessible to a range of audiences.
- Proven experience in managing successful communications campaigns – demonstrating good understanding of strategy, messaging and relationship management with a range of external stakeholders especially media, civil society including private sector.
- Proven writing, editing and speaking skills in English (should be able to read and write in basic Hindi as well) and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and engaging style. Those considered for shortlisting will be asked to take an English writing test.
- Good understanding of the political landscape in India and positions of different stakeholder groups— civil society, media, think tanks and the private sector and others.
- Proven ability to manage sensitive/confidential information, demonstrating good judgment and care.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team player, within and across teams, and deliver on complex and sometimes parallel tasks on tight deadlines.
- Rs.3,099,000 – 57,55,000 per year.
- 4 years
How to Apply
- CLICK HERE, for Official Notification and Application